- Go to the Library’s online catalog, search the catalog and select the item in which you are interested.
- If a list of titles is generated as a result of your search, click on the title that you are interested in. This will bring you to the “Item Details” screen for the item. (Your hold must be placed from the “Item Details” screen.) This page will tell you whether the item is checked out or not.
- If the item is out of the library, please proceed to step 3.
- If the item is on the shelf in the library, you may place a hold by proceeding to step 3. Note that it make take 2 – 3 business days for your item to be available for pickup. For faster service, please call the Reference Desk:
Woods Branch: 203-255-7308
- Click on the words “Place Hold” on the left side of the screen.
- When the hold form is displayed, enter your 14 digit library barcode number (no spaces and no letters).
- Indicate where you would like to pick up the material when it is ready for you by clicking on the drop down box next to “Pickup At”.
- If there are multiple volumes associated with the item you are selecting, you may choose whether you want the first available copy, or if there is a specific volume you need, you may select that.
- Click on the button labeled “Place Hold”.
- The system will display a message about whether it was able to place the hold or not. Some materials, such as reference items, cannot be put on hold. If the hold was placed, a confirmation message will be displayed. Click on the “OK” button.
- You will receive an email or phone call notifying you when the material is available for pick up
- When you are finished, remember to click on the Logout button to insure your privacy.