Fairfield Public Library Offers Downloadable Music Online
Fairfield Public Library has joined Library Ideas’ network of Public Library websites that offer access to songs from Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists.
The service will allow the Fairfield Public Library to increase the size and diversity of its collection by offering access to hundreds of thousands of songs.
Under the terms of the agreement, Fairfield Public Library card holders can download up to 3 Sony Music tracks in the MP3 format each week at no direct cost. The library will underwrite the purchase of the music. Download one of your favorite songs now!
“We have been waiting a long time for a service like this that delivers great music, compatibility with lots of devices and simplicity of use. We think this will be incredibly popular with our patrons and will help the library in marketing all its services to the community,” said Mary Coe, Branch Reference Librarian.
“Sony Music has an incredibly expansive and popular catalog and we are really excited to partner with them on this, a very important product for libraries,” said Brian Downing, co-founder of Library Ideas. “A library is a focal point of the community that requires many tools to excite people about library resources. More than anything, that is the reason for the service.”
- Freegal is a free music download service that allows you (with a Fairfield Public Library card in good standing) to download and KEEP up to 3 songs a week – choose from hundreds of popular artists.
- You will be able to keep track of your downloads in the upper right corner of the site. Every song has a sample clip you can listen to before you download.
- If you run out of downloads for the week, you can go to “My Wishlist” in the upper right corner and queue up for future music.
- The downloads on this site are all in MP3 format with no DRM. This service will work with any MP3 player, including iPod, and can be loaded into iTunes. It works on both PCs and Macs.
- Be sure to check out the browsing areas, especially Artists A to Z (bottom of page) and the genre lists (menu bar). Click on see all genres to view dozens of categories.