The Children’s Room has programs for children of all ages. With early literacy classes, family story times, book clubs, after school programs, special events, and more, Fairfield Public Library and Fairfield Woods Branch Library are where you belong!
Registration for Fall Progams begins on Tuesday, September 5, 2017. Register online, in-person or by telephone starting at 9:00 am.
Drop-in Programs: Drop-in program means that the class does not require advance registration. However, participants must pick up a ticket from the Children’s Information Desk the day of the program. Due to limited space, tickets will be handed out. We begin to give tickets out 30 minutes prior to the program start.
Registration-Only Programs: These programs require advance registration online, in-person, or by phone. Due to the small class sizes for registration-only programs, we ask all participants to commit to weekly attendance. If absent from the program for two weeks without prior notification, the valued spot will be given to a person on the waiting list. Registration dates for sessions vary.
We always have something new and exciting going on in the Children’s Room. Check out the Events Calendar for a full listing of all Program dates and times and to register for any program requiring registration.
- Harold and the Purple Party: Thursday, September 21, 2017 | 2:00pm. Registration program. Children ages 3-7 and their caregivers. Main Library.
- Preschool and Child Care Fair: Thursday, October 5, 2017 | 7:00pm. Drop-in program. For parents and caregivers. Main Library.
- Halloween Ragamuffin Parade: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 | 10:30am. Drop-in program. For children 0-5 and their caregivers. Main Library.
- Family Star Party at the Westport Astronomical Society’s Observatory: Thursday, November 2, 2017 | 7:00pm.* Registration program. Children in grades K-5 and their caregivers. Please register all members of your family. *date if skies are clear. Cloud cover dates Nov. 16 & Nov. 30.
- Winter Wonder Lab with Mad Science: Saturday, December 2, 2017 | 2:00pm. Registration program. Children in grades K-5 with their caregivers. This program was made possible by the Friends of the Fairfield Public Library.
Fall Session Drop-in early childhood and after school classes run September 18 through December 8, 2017, unless otherwise noted. We will have no classes the week of Thanksgiving, Nov. 20-24.
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Book Babies: Mondays & Wednesdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. A story time for babies, ages 0–18 months, and their parent or caregiver. The story time includes nursery rhymes, songs, lapsits, a book, and social play. Program length: approx. 20 minutes.
- Toddler Time: Thursdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. A story time for toddlers, ages 18–36 months, and their parent or caregiver. An action packed program including songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and books. Program length: approx. 30 minutes.
- Stories and More for 3s & 4s: Tuesdays, 10:00am. Drop-in program. Stories, songs, and activities for children ages 3-4. Children attend independently, but caregiver is required to remain in Children’s Room. Program length: approx. 30 minutes.
- Stories Alive for 4s & 5s: Wednesdays & Thursdays, 3:30 pm. Drop-in program. A story time for children, ages 4 & 5 years old. Books, songs, rhymes, and activities. Children attend independently, but caregiver is required to remain in Children’s Room. Program length: approx. 45 minutes. *Please only attend one session per week. The class will be the same both days.
- Getting Ready to Read: Fridays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Rhymes, songs, fingerplays and activities. For children ages 2-4 years old, and their parent or caregiver. Program length: approx. 30 minutes.
School Age Programs: (grades 4-6)
- Nutmeg Book Buzz: First Thursdays of the Month through April, 2017 | 6:00 pm. Registration program. Join our year-round book club! Discuss one 2018 Nutmeg Nominee (Intermediate Level) per month, from July-April. Participants should borrow a copy of the book after registering for a session. For children in grades 4-6. Main Library.
- September 7: Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
- October 5: Gabriel Finley and the Raven’s Riddle by George Hagen
- November 2: Took by Mary Downing Hahn
- December 7: The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other) by Geoff Rodkey
Fairfield Woods Branch Library – Early Literacy Classes/Story Time Sessions and Special Events
Registration for all fall programs begins on Monday, September 11, 2017 at 9:00 am. Story time classes will NOT be held at Fairfield Woods Branch Library on November 10, 17, 24 and December 8, 2017.
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Baby Rhyme Time: Tuesdays, 9:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, music, books, and movement for babies and toddlers, 0-24 months, and their parent or caregiver.
- Walking Rhymers: Tuesdays, 10:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, nursery rhymes books and activities for babies ages 12-24 months with their parent or caregiver. Child must be walking.
- Romp & Read: Fridays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Stories, songs, and activities for children ages 2–5 with parent or caregiver.
- PJ Story Time: Wednesday, September 27, October 24, & November 29, 6:30 pm. Drop-in program. Drift off to dreamland with bedtime stories, songs and finger plays for families with children ages 2-6. Don’t forget your PJs and teddy bear.
Branch School Age Programs
- Craft Studio: Wednesday, September 27, October 25, and November 15, 2017 | 4:15 pm. Registration-only program. Explore your creative side in this after school craft club for children in grades 3-5. Register for each class separately.