The Children’s Room has programs for children of all ages. With early literacy classes, family story times, book clubs, after school programs, special events, and more, Fairfield Public Library and Fairfield Woods Branch Library are where you belong!
Registration for Spring Programs begins on Thursday, March 12, 2018. Register online, in-person or by telephone starting at 9:00 am.
Drop-in Programs: Drop-in program means that the class does not require advance registration. However, participants must pick up a ticket from the Children’s Information Desk the day of the program. Due to limited space, tickets will be handed out. We begin to give tickets out 30 minutes prior to the program start.
Registration-Only Programs: These programs require advance registration online, in-person, or by phone. Due to the small class sizes for registration-only programs, we ask all participants to commit to weekly attendance. If absent from the program for two weeks without prior notification, the valued spot will be given to a person on the waiting list. Registration dates for sessions vary.
We always have something new and exciting going on in the Children’s Room. Check out the Events Calendar for a full listing of all Program dates and times and to register for any program requiring registration.
- Family Star Party @ Westport Astronomical Observatory: Thursday, May 10 | 7:00pm. Join us and the Westport Astronomical Society for a NASA @ My Library event. Experience the wonders of the heavens as viewed through telescopes in the Dome Observatory, 182 Bayberry Lane, Westport, CT 06880. Families of children ages 5 and up. Please register ALL people attending.
- National Crayon Day: Saturday, March 31 | 10:00am. Join us for a lively reading of The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers. As we celebrate all things colorful with activities and fun! Who is your favorite crayon? What crayon would you banish from the box? Registrations is limited and begins March 12th. For children ages 4-8 with their parent or caregiver.
- Family Bingo: Thursday, April 12 | 7:00pm. Match the numbers announced to the ones on your card–and maybe you’ll be shouting BINGO! For children of all ages with their parent or caregiver. Space is limited. Please register all family members that will be attending. Registration is required and begins March 12th.
- Firefighter Story Time: Wednesday, April 25 | 10:00am-11:30am. Fairfield’s Bravest will visit the Branch Library to read a firefighter story, talk about fire safety and show off their fire truck! This special story time is for children ages 0-5 and their parent or caregiver. Rain or shine. Registration required and begins March 12th.
- Teddy Bear PJ Storytime & Sleepover: Monday, April 30 | 6:30pm-7:15pm. Fairfield’s Bring your favorite stuffed animal, wear your favorite PJs and join us for an evening storytime. Bedtime stories and calming activities will get you and your fluffy friend ready for bed. Leave your stuffed animal with the Library for a sleepover with other stuffed friends. When you pick up your stuffed animal, you will be able to see all the pictures from their fun evening in the Library. Please pick up stuffed animals on the days following the sleepover. Space is limited. Registration is required and begins March 12th.
- Family Camp-In: Friday, May 18 | 6:00pm-7:15pm. Ready for summer? Help us kick off the season early with this special after-hours family event. Join us as we share stories around the campfire, eat s’mores, and build the best family fort in the library stacks! For families with children ages 3-7.Register each family member individually. Limited to 15 families. Registration is required and begins March 12th.
Main Library – Early Childhood Development Classes/Storytime Sessions
Spring Session Drop-in early childhood and after school classes run March 19 through May 18, 2018, unless otherwise noted.. Please note we do not have programs the week of April 9.
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Stories & More for 3s & 4s: Mondays, 9:30am. Drop-in program. Through stories, music, activities and more, this weekly class helps to develop appropriate ages and stages for children ages 3-4. Children attend independently, but parent or caregiver must remain in Children’s Room. Due to limited space, tickets will be distributed 30 minutes prior to the start of the program.
- Stories Alive for 4s & 5s: Mondays, 2:00 pm. Registration program. Through stories, music,activities and more, this weekly class helps to develop both the motor and social skills necessary for kindergarten readiness. Children ages 4-5 attend independently, but parent or caregiver must remain in Children’s Room. Class size is limited to 15 children. Registration is required and is for all classes in the Spring session.
- Toddler Time: Wednesdays, 9:30 am and 10:15 am. Drop-in program. Songs, nursery rhymes, books, and activities for children, ages 18-36 months, and their parent or caregiver. Due to limited space, tickets will be distributed 30 minutes prior to the start of the program.
- Book Babies: Thursdays, 9:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, music, books, and social play for babies, ages 0-18 months, and their parent or caregiver. Drop-in program. Due to limited space, tickets will be distributed 30 minutes prior to the start of the program.
- Sing & Stomp: Fridays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. An active story time for families with children ages 0-5 years old. Hop, sing and dance with your child through stories and rhymes. Open attendance for all, drop-in program.
School Age Programs: (grades K-6)
- Writing Club: First Tuesdays of the Month through May | 4:00 pm. Registration program. Join our writing club! We welcome any aspiring author in 4th-6th grade who is passionate about writing to come explore different aspects of writing, engage in fun activities, and share your own work! For children in grades 4-6. Main Library.
- Weird But True: Thursdays, April 19, 26, May 3 | 4:00 pm- 4:45 pm. Registration program. The world’s longest soap bubble was as long as four school buses! The biggest toilet-paper pyramid was made up of 23,821 rolls. An elephant’s tooth can weigh as much as a bowling ball. Really? YES! These facts from the popular National Geographic book series are definitely Weird but True!
If you’re curious about wacky trivia like this, join us as we explore some of the wild and mind-bending facts from the Weird But True chapter books. We’ll test things out through hands on science and experimentation. Together we’ll explore big concepts and incredible ideas through simple activities.
For children in grades 2-3. Parent or caregiver must remain in the Library for the duration of the program. Registration begins March 12th and is for all three classes.
- Make & Take Saturdays: Drop-in program. Drop in every Saturday to create, make & take, take & make, or craft a special holiday project! For children ages 4-8. Main Library.
Fairfield Woods Branch Library – Early Literacy Classes/Story Time Sessions and Special Events
Registration for all Winter programs begins on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:00 am. Winter Session Drop-in early childhood and after school classes run January 8 through March 2, 2018, unless otherwise noted.
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Baby Rhyme Time: Tuesdays, 9:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, music, books, and movement for babies and toddlers, 0-24 months, and their parent or caregiver.
- Walking Rhymers: Tuesdays, 10:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, nursery rhymes books and activities for babies ages 12-24 months with their parent or caregiver. Child must be walking.
- Stay & Play: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Stop in after our scheduled drop-in story time for babies or toddlers to stay, play, meet and socialize with other parents/caregivers and children.
- Terrific Twos: Thursdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Join Ms. Stefanie for some jumping, jiggling, rhyming, singing, stories and felt board fun! For children ages 24-36 months with parent or caregiver.
Branch School Age Programs: (grades K-5)
- Good Read, Good Eats: Mondays, March 19, 26, April 2 | 4:00-5:00 pm. Registration program.Savor a food-based story and create a healthy, tasty treat! Children will learn basic food prep skills with an emphasis on fresh and nutritious. For children in grades K-2. Parents are responsible for checking ingredients lists for possible food allergies. Parent or caregiver must remain in the Library for the duration of the program. Registration is required and is for all 3 classes. Woods Branch Library
- Craft Studio: March 21 and April 25 | 4:00-4:45 pm. Registration Program. Explore your creative side in this after school craft club for children in grades 3-5. Parent or caregiver must remain in the Library for the duration of the program. Registration begins January 2nd and is separate for each class. March 21: Pinwheel Photo Holder; April 25: Multicolored Juggling Balls
Woods Branch Library
- Lego Architects Club: Fridays | 4:00 pm. Drop-in program. Do you love designing with LEGO bricks? Do tall buildings, fancy cars, or animals inspire you? Put your imagination to work and join us for a fun-filled afternoon where a new story each week sets the theme for our creativity to bloom. Children in grades 2-5. Woods Branch Library.
- Stress-Busters: Thursdays, April 19, 26, May 3 | 4:00-4:45 pm. Registration program. Beat stress with fun projects and activities! Each week children will learn helpful ways to cope with stress such as aromatherapy, mindfulness, and fun projects like “stress balls.” *Latex will be used. For children in grades 3-5. Parent or caregiver must remain in the Children’s Room for the duration of the program. Registration begins March 12th and is for all three classes.
- Make & Take Saturdays: . Drop-in program. Drop in every Saturday to create, make & take, take & make, or craft a special holiday project! For children ages 4-8. Woods Branch Library.