The Children’s Room has programs for children of all ages. With early literacy classes, family story times, book clubs, after school programs, special events, and more, Fairfield Public Library and Fairfield Woods Branch Library are where you belong!
Registration for Summer Progams begins on Thursday, June 1, 2017. Register online, in-person or by telephone starting at 9:00 am.
Drop-in Programs: Drop-in program means that the class does not require advance registration. However, participants must pick up a ticket from the Children’s Information Desk the day of the program. Due to limited space, tickets will be handed out. We begin to give tickets out 30 minutes prior to the program start.
Registration-Only Programs: These programs require advance registration online, in-person, or by phone. Due to the small class sizes for registration-only programs, we ask all participants to commit to weekly attendance. If absent from the program for two weeks without prior notification, the valued spot will be given to a person on the waiting list. Registration dates for sessions vary.
We always have something new and exciting going on in the Children’s Room. Check out the Events Calendar for a full listing of all Program dates and times and to register for any program requiring registration.
- Summer Reading Kickoff @ Penfield Pavilion: Wednesday June 21, 2017 | 10:00 am. All Ages with caregiver. Penfield Beach parking sticker required to park.
- The Fix-It Man Story & Craft: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 | 10:00 am. Ages 3-6 years old with caregiver. Registration program. Main Library.
- Christine’s Critters: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 | 7:00 pm. Registration program. Families with school age children. Main Library.
- The Science of Sound: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 | 7:00 pm. Registration program. Families with school age children. Roger Ludlowe Middle School Auditorium.
- Family Bingo: Wednesday, August 8, 2017 | 7:00 pm. Registration program. All ages with caregiver. Main Library.
Summer Session Drop-in early childhood and after school classes run June 26 through August 12, 2017, unless otherwise noted;
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Book Babies: Mondays & Wednesdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. A story time for babies, ages 0–18 months, and their parent or caregiver. The story time includes nursery rhymes, songs, lapsits, a book, and social play. Program length: approx. 20 minutes.
- Toddler Time: Tuesdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. A story time for toddlers, ages 18–36 months, and their parent or caregiver. An action packed program including songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and books. Program length: approx. 30 minutes.
- Stories Alive for 4s & 5s: Mondays, 3:30 pm. Drop-in program. A story time for children, ages 4 & 5 years old. Books, songs, rhymes, and activities. Children attend independently, but caregiver is required to remain in Children’s Room. Program length: approx. 45 minutes.
- Mother Goose: Fridays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Rhymes, songs, fingerplays and activities. For walking children up to 3 years old , and their parent or caregiver.
- Baby Playtime: Saturdays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Open play for families with children 0-3 years old. Stay to read, play, socialize, and make new friends! Program length: approx. 30 minutes.
School Age Programs: (grades 4-6)
- Nutmeg Book Buzz: Thursday, July 6, 2017 & August 3, 2017 | 6:00 pm. Registration program. Join our year-round book club! Discuss one 2018 Nutmeg Nominee (Intermediate Level) per month, from July-April. Our first meeting will be in July and we will read Ratscalibur by Josh Lieb. In August we will read Kinda Like Brothers by Coe Booth. Participants should borrow a copy of the book after registering for a session. For children in grades 4-6. Main Library.
Fairfield Woods Branch Library – Early Literacy Classes/Story Time Sessions and Special Events
Registration for all fall programs begins on Monday, September 11, 2017 at 9:00 am. Story time classes will NOT be held at Fairfield Woods Branch Library on November 10, 17, 24 and December 8, 2017.
Preschool Age Programs: (ages 0 – 5 years old)
- Baby Rhyme Time: Tuesdays, 9:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, music, books, and movement for babies and toddlers, 0-24 months, and their parent or caregiver.
- Walking Rhymers: Tuesdays, 10:30 am. Drop-in program. Songs, nursery rhymes books and activities for babies ages 12-24 months with their parent or caregiver. Child must be walking.
- Stay & Play: Tuesdays & Thursday, 10:00 am-noon. Drop-in program. Stop in before or after a scheduled drop-in story time for babies, toddlers or preschoolers and stay, play, meet and socialize with other parents/caregivers and children.
- Romp & Read: Fridays, 10:00 am. Drop-in program. Stories, songs, and activities for children ages 2–5 with parent or caregiver.
- PJ Story Time: Wednesday, September 27, October 24, & November 29, 6:30 pm. Drop-in program. Drift off to dreamland with bedtime stories, songs and finger plays for families with children ages 2-6. Don’t forget your PJs and teddy bear.
Branch School Age Programs
- NASA Eclipse Party : August 21, 2017 | 7:00 pm. For all ages with parent or caregiver.
- Craft Studio: Wednesday, September 27, October 25, and November 15, 2017 | 4:15 pm. Registration-only program. Explore your creative side in this after school craft club for children in grades 3-5. Register for each class separately.