Even though the system asks for a book title, please remember to log BAG titles NOT book titles.
The Children’s Librarians at Fairfield Public Library have created 100 backpacks of 10 children’s books each, arranged by theme, character or author. Check out one of the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten backpacks and read all 10 books inside to your infant, toddler, or preschooler. The goal is to have read all 100 backpacks totaling 1000 books before your child starts kindergarten. Happy reading!
About the Program
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a national program that supports early literacy, school preparedness and the parent/caregiver-child bond. The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. The goal is to have read 1000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really, if you think about it.
If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at about 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started)!
Learn more at: http://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/
Click the link above to create an account to keep track of the Backpacks you have read with your child. Use the child’s name and information on the registration form. Please log the Backpack titles or numbers as you progress through the program instead of book titles.
The Children’s Librarians have compiled a sheet of extension activities to accompany each bag. When you read, write, sing, talk, and play with your child, you are providing rich opportunities to build their early literacy skills. Fostering a love for written and oral language will benefit your child as they prepare for school, while the shared experience of reading together strengthens the caregiver-child relationship.
How It Works
The 1000 Books Backpacks are available to borrow at the Main Library for a period of 3 weeks. Holds and renewals cannot be placed on the backpacks. You can return the backpacks at either the Main Library or the Fairfield Woods Branch Library, either at the Circulation Desk or in the book drop.
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on your reading schedule.
- Do we have to read the backpacks in order? No! You can borrow the backpacks in any order. However, many books appropriate for babies can be found in Backpacks 1-10 (see back of pamphlet for Complete List of Titles).
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten)! Make it even more fun and read as a family!
- Are there prizes associated with this program? There are no level prizes associated with this program, but when you complete reading the 100 backpacks or 1000 books please come in and receive a 1000 Books Before Kindergarten certificate.